Monday, February 14, 2011

Gettin' Things DONE...

Alternate titles: 
What I've Been Doin' When I'm Not Gettin' PAID or

How Do You Hang A Shelf Straight and Level When Nothing Around it is Straight or Level? or

I Wonder If I Will Drill Through A Weight Bearing Piece of Cement and Crumble This Flat or

How Many Drill Bits Does it Take To Get To the Center of a Cement Wall? or

Is The Core of This Flat Really Chinese Newspaper? or

Close Enough For State Work (as my Papa used to say)




Continuing along with my week of doing it myself (DIM?) I've put up the IKEA shelves that we bought 4 months ago.  Now we have an awesome bookshelf/place for our stuff (George Carlin).



I also put up a guitar hanger in Jonathan's room


Here it is being weight tested  

Yesterday, I fixed the rusty trickle of water coming out of our sink. 

A few weeks ago there were some water men outside messing with the valves outside our flat and ever since then the pressure continued to drop.  The only place we have town water is in the kitchen sink, our shower and toilet are from mountain water.  Our quiet little flat is slowing being invaded by more and more construction and more people moving in to vacant buildings all around us.  We chalked up the low pressure to increased demand from everyone else.  I even went so far as a little covert ops pliers mission to make sure our valve was fully open and it didn't change anything.

Fast forward to yesterday, my DIY Monday, I took the faucet apart and rusty metal chunks fell out of the bottom....So I tried to flush them out now that the flow wasn't impeded by the tall spout.  The joint was also leaking so I messed around with the triple gasket setup it and got that fixed and put it back on, the leak was fixed, but not the flow.  Just for the heck of it I unscrewed the little metal screen filter thing at the tip of the spout and found that it was almost completely clogged with brown rust.  I tapped it all out and put it all back together and now we have a fire hose for a kitchen faucet.  My other accomplishment was making the curtain across Jonathan's door semi-permanent by adding some blocks of wood to hold up the flimsy spring loaded bar.

Tomorrow may be tackling the bathroom...we'll see

2 comments:

  1. My mama used to say, "Close enough for Government work!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Hope you feel better soon. Got your card in the mail Monday. Such a beautiful card too! Love you much-Mom/Ann

    ReplyDelete