Friday, November 20, 2009

Hong Kong Thanksgiving






Yesterday was "Hong Kong Thanksgiving" here on Lantau since next Thursday we have program (actually 3 simultaneous programs) so we had it yesterday at 2pm.

I prepared my dish the night before and let it sit overnight to let all the tastes melt together as per the directions. I went to Jacky's house in Mui Wo to use her oven. It's crazy how only one person in my circle of acquaintances actually has an oven in Hong Kong. I arrived there shortly before noon and put my two 13x9" pans in her gas oven to cook for an hour at 350.

Onnalea showed up and I helped her cut up stuff for her squash,apple,onion, and curry soup that turned out to be incredible.

After the baking was done I loaded up the pans in my fleece lined New Balance shopping bag and walked to get a taxi straight to Pui O (Saataan) Beach. We had snacks and appetisers for a few minutes while waiting for the rest of the people to show up and then dug in to the feast.

There was all the usual stuff, just cooked differently. The two turkeys were boiled, maybe brined? Gravy and cranberry sauce, stuffing that looked like jello pudding with raisins (but tasted really good), squash, green bean casserole, my cheesy potatoes, salad, and a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting.












































We gorged ourselves with food and after emerging from a food induced coma Katy and I went for a walk on the beach. When we came back everyone was running out on the beach dressed in PFDs and holding paddles getting ready for a game of Hurley.

I jumped into the game and Katy was taking some pictures with my phone. After less than 5 minutes into the game, Craig and I went for the ball at full speed (illustrated on the left) and somehow we ended up both face first into the sand. Except my face was aided by Craig's knee in the back of my head as he flew over me. That was it for me, I'm still feeling a little of the effects and still removing the sand from my nostrils...















I met with Megan this morning to go over my schedule for next week and see what I'm doing as the co-coordinator. It's a 2.5 day/2 night camp with ~140 5th graders.... 15-17 per group, it should be.....interesting..... Is it December yet?

Anyway it's in upper 50s and lower 60s again today, this is frigid for Hong Kong, looks like it might be a cold winter.

2 comments:

  1. Your Thanksgiving sounded great! Except for a sand faceplant, those pictures are funny. I can't believe she caught the moment of "knee on back of head" Hopefully you aren't feeling much pain from that still. Sounds like you're busy as always with lots of kids coming. When will you be done for break?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam-Weather today was quite nice-cool but clear and sunny (45 degrees). Winter coats did not seem too much today with the breeze out there. Once again enjoyed your comments-sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving feast. We are looking forward to ours on Thursday with your family. Your mom is still a bit under the weather. We will be bringing our feast to Saranac. It won't be long before we will be looking at December. Just under two weeks-time is flying. Great breakfast was had with the Couture family on Sunday. Many were asking how you were doing. You are busy with kids coming. Have a great camping trip-Thinking of you-keep safe. Love Nana & Papa C

    ReplyDelete