Thursday, October 14, 2010

Home on the a41p

finished for the day and finished for the week in sai kung. I had a really nice week dragonboating, wish I could get 1000 hkd per day working 8:30-2:30 everyday.

Now I can put "dragonboat instructor" on my resume.

Each day consisted of 140 kids arriving in various stages of lateness, then sitting down in their groups getting a colored shirt for their "house color," you know like in Harry Potter, since no school in North Eastern New York is large enough to have "houses."

Once the groups were settled we showed all of them briefly how to hold a paddle and split them into two groups. One half (7 groups) went right to the beach and into the boats while we did some more paddle instruction with the other half.

This morning I lead an energizer of "Big Star, Little Star" for everyone and it came out really well. This week I've been the only native English speaker and the only non-Chinese person working, which has been an interesting experience. It did help my Cantonese though. It's interesting how I see myself as a reserved person, but in this setting and compared to those working around me I came off as quite outgoing. I was the awards announcer each day an really go the kids excited AND they actually listened to me.

Once each half had a practice land session and a practice water session, we had 2 heats of races with the top 3 in each heat qualifying for the final after lunch and the best 4th place time also joining to make a 7 boat final and there was also a 7 boat los...er... consolation round for everyone to get a chance to race again.

Then we had lunch, really nice fresh deli made sandwiches with that tough, chewy and tasty bread that makes your jaw hurt from chewing after each bite. Much, much better than other sandwiches I've experienced recently....

The afternoon was the two races then awards for the top three teams, then changing and boarding the busses at 2-2:30. Then we were done! That was my last four days. There are some pictures on my twitter, but I'll have to put then here so I can have record of them for "Doc Bones in HK 2: The Return" hard bound edition going on sale in not too distant future to all fine retail stores near you.
Mobile Blogging from here.

1 comment:

  1. Love the "The Empire Strikes Back" article, and that gif is freaking hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete