Friday, March 13, 2009

A day off

Not really much going on lately but I want to keep up on the writing. I never kept any record of anything I did at ALE, except for the mountain if itineraries in ziplock bags I have in my basement at home, which I will sort out someday...ha!

I'm back to 100% health, yesterday we shared a bunch more of our games and activities with each other. I made a bamboo handdrill and got some smoke on it, everyone was pretty impressed. I can't wait to make a real bowdrill set when my knives get here. I also showed everyone the water bottle cozie, we might do them with the kids if the rains hit next week.

Yesterday has some of the highest winds I think I've ever been in, it was probably sustained 45mph gusting over 50 they said. It was pretty crazy, we hunkered down in the Ooh La La restaurant for a few hours until it died down enough for us to walk home.

This morning I had my first grocery shopping experience, it's pretty much the same as in the US except everything you buy is a little bit smaller in size. You can't get 5 gallon buckets of peanut butter or ice cream, which is a good thing. I'm fine with my 8 slices of bread and 4 oz peanut butter, less wasted food when I'm at camp all next week. I also can't buy $350 HKD (or ~$50 US) in food and expect to be able to easily get it back to the flat, you have to carry everything to the bus stop and wait for the bus. You can get a taxi easy enough, it's just the difference between a ~.50 bus ride and a $3 taxi, but it does add up. So today I spent less than $20 US on groceries and it was enough to comfortably carry back to the bus.

I'm not sure what I'll do today, maybe try to make it to the music shop in wanchai and try out some sanxians and pipas

1 comment:

  1. Hi Adam-I'm not sure if you get to read all the comments but our internet at home has been down- due to it supposedly being down in the area. Good to hear you're back on track. Bowdrill stuff is on the way-sent Tuesday. That's my boy- watching his dollars...and cents. Oh the music, it will always be a part of you. Believe me, I know. Back at the trumpet and learning the fiddle and loving it. I'm going to click on the sanxians and pipas and see what that's all about. Talk to you later. We love you much! Mom

    ReplyDelete