Thursday, March 26, 2009

One Month and Counting...

I just realized I have been here for over a month now. Time goes by so quickly, especially being busy with work and always having things to do/places to go/explore here.

We have a day camp tomorrow with 4th graders and then a school next week coming for 3 days. After that it is the end of "Spring Season" and a few people are leaving us, hopefully only for the summer, but who knows. We will be off until June 15th or so, I'm actually working an Easter day camp with a few others up until mid-April then that's it.

I have a pretty good idea for somethings that I want to do, ride the gondola at Ngong Ping, hike the 40 miles of the Lantau Trail, experience Discovery Bay and Hong Kong Disneyland, take the ferry to Lamma Island just to see other parts of Hong Kong and go into the New Territories. I also will probably visit Irvin (a coordinator at Treasure Island) in the Philippines for a little bit.

Also if anyone out there that reads this ever wants to take a trip to Hong Kong between now and June 15th you would definitely have a place to stay for as long as you want, just let me know. There will be some empty rooms and we have a futon and if worse comes to worse there is a public campsite 5 minutes away; some expatriates have been living out of tents there for years. All you need is a passport and you know...just a couple grand for plane tickets :( Once you get here it's super cheap to live though.

_____________________________________________
Other random happenings on Lantau Island
-You can get a full value meal at McDonalds for less than $4 US, i think whenever they see me walk in the door they automatically start making a sundae, my icecream intake as increased 1500% over the last month.....MMMMM...Melamine...the world's greatest milk thickener and baby poisoner
-I found a decent coffee shop in the city, it's hard to get to and $4 for 16oz but it's the closest thing to 'merican coffee i've found
-I spent $280 HKD (~40US) on food that should last me for weeks now
-Every day I fall more in love with the fiddle I bought, it really sounds good and I'm getting my fiddle touch back
-I'm not sure if i mentioned this already, but last week we had the most ridiculous wind storm I've ever been in, we were stranded at the Ooh La La restaurant while airborne projectiles whizzed around outside.
-I found a stick ample enough to make a bow for my bowdrill set, Hong Kong coal busting is imminent
-They have these $0.50 US juice boxes here in all types of flavors, Guava, the most amazing fruit ever, and Orange/Mango are my favorite, I probably put down a good half dozen of them per day.
-I'm still trying to wrap my head around British English which almost all of the kids know....Now if you will excuse me I need to queue up, grab my torch, and head to the washroom. In addition I need to get ready for the programme and eat some toe-MAH-toes; touch wood will ya?
-I've realized that I need to slow down a little when I talk to the kids, some of them don't have the best english. I also tend to sometimesrunsomewordsinto others and it must be hard for a non-native speaker to understand.
-I have a Cantonese language course on my computer I'm trying to listen to it for a few minutes everyday. Newest addition to the vocabulary (Where is the bathroom?--Hai bean doo wah chi saw?) To which they reply, "Hello sir, take a right down at the end of the hall, you can't miss it" Then I say "Ngoi" (Thank you) and they say "no problem" :)
-I also just bought 6 months of travel insurance and finalized my Hong Kong work visa documents

1 comment:

  1. Joe-san Adam! Hope this week went well for you. Sounds like you have a lot planned for upcoming weeks. Your "random happenings" part is quite funny and very interesting. Glad you're enjoying the fiddle. I will keep practicing- maybe a duet in the future?...We miss you and love you!! Love-Mom

    ReplyDelete