Thursday, August 12, 2010

Settling in

I'm settling in well here back in HK, I had a pretty smooth trip over.

The flight from Burlington to JFK was uneventful, they let me carry my banjo onto the plane and it fit in the overhead compartment. The security people were really nice, they were singing Dueling Banjos and one officer at the front of the conveyor asked the one at the end to catch the instrument as it went through.

Once in JFK I collected my bags and sat for a while using JetBlue's free wifi. Then I waddled my way to find terminal 3, the Delta terminal. I pushed my 50lb bag in front of me and pulled my 20lb mini case with my banjo in my hand and thumb wrenched underneath to keep the stack together. I was able to check in my bags at the Delta terminal and then went through security, it was about 9:30 and I had about a 4 hour wait so I went to Burger King and then broke down an purchased wifi since there isn't any provided for free in the terminal, which is one of the greatest crimes known to man...

As I boarded the plane to Japan a flight attendant grabbed my banjo and stored it up front which was great, since I didn't have to deal with it. I slept about half of the 12 hour flight or dozed at least, it was an older airplane and didn't have the personal video screens like the new ones. I never felt like it was that long though, getting into Japan was fine, however my flight from there to Hong Kong was delayed three hours, luckily the wifi pass I bought in JFK was still valid and I bought some McDonald's :( and recharged my iPhone.

The 3 hour and 30 minute flight was uneventful, mostly because I was sleeping the entire time, except when I was woken up to eat dinner..err..breakfast..err...dinner, whatever... Turbulence had caused the final meal on the way in to Japan to not be served so I was one behind anyway, pukey McDonalds or not.

They also gave me a $100 voucher for a future flight with Delta since I think they might have been nervous that the people might protest and refuse to get off the plane like these people did two weeks ago

I arrived in Hong Kong at about 1:30 i think, honestly I had no concept of time at this point, met Katy and caught a taxi back to our flat in Pui O.

It was a weird night and I didn't get a lot of sleep, but that's as expected.  Yesterday Katy and I did a bunch of moving and unpacking around the flat, I got all my stuff taken care of except for a few things.  We moved a bunch of stuff out of the other bedroom, which had our wardrobe and refrigerator in it, so Jonathan could have a place to sleep and call his own.  We went in to Mui Wo last night and had some Chinese food and then I came back and passed out, I slept pretty well, but have been up since 5:30.

Hope everyone back in the States is doing well!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Adam and Katy-Glad you are settling in ok in HK. Things are well here although very quiet again, esp. in the basement. We miss you greatly. It takes a while to get adjusted again. We had such a great time during your visit here. It added another dimension to our lives for sure. K-10 and I have been doing some more cleaning at Karen's-that keeps us busy! Dad finishing up Papa C.'s kitchen. Austy headed to work shortly then maybe to see a Travis show in Morrisonville tonight. Thanks for the blog post and am sure glad your banjo traveled well!! Hi Katy and Jonathan! We love you all- Mom/Ann and family.

    ReplyDelete