Friday, April 3, 2009

So it goes...

Today marked the death of the spring season, but in its death begins a new journey. Two and a half months before the start of the Summer season at Treasure Island means the beginning and end of many things.

We said farewell to Irvin and Justin, Kurt will be leaving next week and the rest of us will scatter intermittently only to reunite for the long stretch of summer surf camp into the return of tribal camp in the fall. This is quite the ride so far and it is bound to become quite a bit different as we add more and more staff to the mix.

My short term (within the next week or so) places to visit are:
Macau
Ngong Ping Gondola
Discovery Bay

Long term (before June 15th):
Cebu, Phillipines
Possibly Laos, Cambodia, Thailand with a couple other T.I.ers

I've been thinking a lot about thru-hiking lately, the Long Trail didn't get that entirely out of my system, although I'm not sure anything will... I am one that likes to have a plan far into the future, so as it stands right now post-Treasure Island I would like to get settled back in the US for a while then start the Appalachian Trail.

In other news, the Lopsop Stringband was created today from members formerly know as Lopsop Gwei(los). We are a three piece band, guitar, mandolin, and banjo. We play all types of music, but I'd call it folk-reggae-jamgrass. We just got a gig a week from today at a Turkish restaurant in Mui Wo and we might play at another place in Tung Fuk sometime too. The British ex-pats seem to enjoy our music, so hopefully things will go well and we'll get our second set ready to go soon.

I think I might be equal to the best I've ever been on the banjo right now, I was plateauing and maybe dropping for a while there, but now that I play a lot with the band, challenge myself, and get ample opportunity to solo I feel really good about my playing. Too bad the banjo I play sounds like someone jammed a broomstick into a Clorox bottle and strung it up. As far as solo practice time, I seldom play the banjo, it's mostly the fiddle now; it's so much fun to play.

End of post randomness:

Since I was paid yesterday I'm thinking about breaking down and buying and iPod, I really miss being able to call up any track on my computer in a split second.

I shaved off my beard today

I might be going surfing for the first time tomorrow, if it's not pouring down rain.

3 comments:

  1. ...or you should come hike the Pacific Crest Trail with me and my AT buddies. We're planning on taking off from Mexico late April 2010. Consider yourself invited to join our Canada-bound expedition team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be pretty awesome, I'll definitely take that into consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adam! ...always have a plan and planning ahead.. so Adam-like...Glad things are going well for you. I'm glad you are enjoying the fiddle and make-shift banjo; also cool to have a guitar and mandolin player on hand! Keep on blogging- we miss you and love ya! Mom

    ReplyDelete