Thursday, January 28, 2010

After all there's only two more sleeps til Nepal


This is what my roti canai should have looked like



Alternate title: The Hong Kong Roti Blues
Alt. alt. title: Time to Make the Tax Returns
Alt. alt. alt. title: The Doc Abides

Spent most of today making...er, trying to make roti.  As my twitters say my second try at roti canai failed miserably, the ghee that I'm using doesn't allow the dough to be rubbery enough, only sticky and crumbly so it falls apart if it gets too thin.  I tried and tried to salvage that batch because I wasted a half a cup of my own prepared ghee (i.e. clarified butter) in there, but I ended up throwing out the whole batch.  I tried frying it to see what would happen and it turned into a greasy, charred, crumbly breadlike mess.
The third attempt turned out much better, not really malaysian roti canai, more like this one: 
It was pretty good, almost like a torilla, but it did puff up more so that was good.  I just threw some ghee on it and a heapin' sloppin' of my new favoritest thing ever Nutella  "

Now I have three more test batches curing in the kitchen, btw which looks like a flour oil dough dirty bomb went off in there...

All the batches are ghee-less, one has flour and oil, one has flour and water with oil coating, one is flour and water and an oil soaking.  I'll write tomorrow to tell which turns out the best.

I also tackled my taxes with the help of TurboTax, it looks like Obama isn't "socializing" the chicken feed I make here in Hong Kong just yet :)  I'm not paying anything in and I'm not getting anything back, fair deal.  I do have to look in to Hong Kong taxes which I've heard is a cake walk compared to the US.

I'm getting ready to pack my back and start consolidating all my outdoor stuff into a central location, Khem seems to have dropped off the face of the earth today...

No comments:

Post a Comment