Thursday, January 28, 2010

How I learned to make perfect roti canai!

I finally finally figured out how to make roti canai, just like the kind I bought on Tioman Island and Mersing in Malaysia! It took a few weeks of looking for ghee in the stores and then making my own, then realizing that ghee is useless in making the kind of roti that I wanted...

The first batch of roti used just flour and butter and turned out like biscuits.
The second batch used flour and ghee and also turned out like biscuits
I used this recipe for the first two tries, it failed for me pretty horribly

The third batch was based on this youtube video and it turned out alright, much better than my previous tries.  It was more like naan bread, like a puffy tortilla, but it wasn't what I wanted, so back to the drawing board.

I took what I learned with these first three tries; you don't mix butter or ghee with flour, it simply doesn't allow the flour to become rubbery enough to stretch, instead you get biscuit dough.  I also learned that water is what you need to mix with flour to get the ultra rubbery tissue paper thin dough.  There was still something I was missing, I still couldn't get the dough thin enough without it drying out or sticking to itself and turning into another biscuit or crumbly/sticky mess.

I did three test batches at once after the first three separate tries.

The fourth batch was two balls of oil and flour mix, just to see if vegetable oil was different than ghee, it wasn't. I didn't even try cooking them, they went right into the "lapsap doi" aka garbage bag

The fifth and sixth batch I found this website and used this recipe:
In one bowl I had one ball of water and flour with a light coating of vegetable oil
In the other bowl I had 4 balls of water and flour, but soaking in oil

After letting them sit for about 4 hours I prepared them for cooking.  The one that wasn't soaking in oil was alright, it was a little sticky though, but it did get really thin, the oil coating was the secret.

The four that were soaking in oil were very easy to work with, the oil coating on the outside contains all the stickiness of the dough and it makes it a big rubber sheet that you are free to stretch to tissue paper thickness.  My technique isn't quite like this guy's but I did get my roti canai pretty thin.  I'd just work the ball in my hands like pizza dough and then flop it down on the lightly greased counter and then stretch it more there.  After a good amount of stretching you fold in the edges and throw it on the hot and greased fry pan for a few minutes where it bubbles up and then flipped.

Don't forget to crush them like the guy in the video, they did that at every place I ordered it while in Malaysia, just let it rip!

After hours of searching the internet and trying different recipes and techniques, while wasting cups and cups of flour, ghee, oil, and tears...I've found the way to make roti canai that I'm very satisfied with and I will be making it this way many more times.


My little ball of deliciousness soaking in it's glorious oil, almost ready for its transformation



 
This one is a little weird shaped but no less delicious!



 
 A little closer look at the flaky, bubbly, chewy, puffy, greasy, wonderful roti canai



 
 The finished product shortly before disappearing without a trace.

5 comments:

  1. Hi there chef Adam- You are sure persistent with your cooking! Sounds like Adam's very own test kitchen...ultimately full of deliciousness. the roti canai doesn't look too appetizing but most of the real tasty stuff doesn't. We always take your word for it, try it, and are hooked on whatever you try on us at home. MMMMMM, tortillas "Adam-style". Hope all has gone well with the Nepal preparations. Oh yeah, you can put us on the spot tracker email list too if possible. We will be keeping track of you. Things are well here, so far so good. Papa P. was supposed to go for an xray today. We haven't heard anything on the other test, not sure if that was anything they could even read. Hope to talk to you before you leave on your trip. Lots of love and thinking of you always. Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me again- OMG I just saw that you have spent 340 days in HK!!! I can't believe it has been almost a year already. WOW.... MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adam-One more note of much interest. Just spoke with Dad. He had stopped at Nana/Papa P.'s after work and Papa had the x-ray today. Apparently his lungs are clearing which is great news as well as he found out there's no sign of lung cancer. Good news so far, yayyyy! We needed some good news. Talk to you later. Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you SO much for removing the spot tracker widget because I felt so sad when I couldn't get my docboneshk.blogspot fix at work every few hours!! Now it's back to online stalking you as usual! Joy!

    I'm SOOOOOOOOOO happy to read that Papa P. is getting better and no sign of lung cancer! Hooray!!!!

    Okay, time to write 45 comments for report cards, approximately 700 characters each, before 4:00pm. *girding my loins* Oh, yes... must also teach my little innocents some English literature as well... Role plays and ghost stories today!!

    Can't wait to see you this afternoon!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I'm a Malaysian student studying abroad and I stumbled across this entry while Googling ways to make roti canai, and your method was absolutely spot on! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    p/s: I tried soaking the dough balls in margarine instead of oil (because I noticed the mamak's dough usually had a creamy yellowish coating, like Planta), and that tasted pretty great too :)

    -MY

    ReplyDelete